Stay At Home Supermom

Stay At Home Supermom

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Not so super, mom!

I think when it comes to taking care of my boys, I am a little bit like Clark Kent and Superman.  I want to believe I am all Super and not so much Clark but in reality, it's just not so.  Aden is puny, it started last night; he has a nasty cough, low fever, and is very grumpy!  This is my boy that smiles ALL the time; that is nearly perfect all of the time.  I'm sort of at a loss for what to do with him, and I feel like all I've done today is hold him.  (I'm totally ok with the extra cuddling though!)
When Carson was a baby and up until he was about two and half, he would spike HUGE fevers.  104-106 degree fevers were pretty common place around here.  I knew the drill, I could take care of him in my sleep...alternating Tylenol and Motrin, humidifier, light weight clothes, staying hydrated, luke warm baths, keeping things disinfected, etc.  I don't know if it's just been while and I'm nervous; or if I wasn't as tough as I am in my memories!  :) My friends call me sometimes with advice for what to do with their sick babies and I'm very much Superman....Tara to the rescue!  But now that my own baby boy is the slightest bit sickly, the flowing cape behind me is gone and I'm just awkward Clark Kent, pushing my glasses back up on my nose.  Maybe it's because Aden is SO normal that I've forgotten how to do sick.  Maybe I'm not as tough as I think I am.  Maybe I overreact.  Maybe I've gotten wimpy since Carson has gotten healthier.  I don't know what it is, but I'm torn.  Superman (mom) is dying to come out but Clark is keeping him inside. I am hoping that this is just a little cold or sinus infection, and he will start feeling better over the next couple of days.  Mommy (super or not) is tired, she jumps every time he coughs, she hates that he doesn't feel well, and she wants him to go back to being "normal."  I think I like the image of the red cape with the giant "S" on it flowing behind me but let's face it.....the world just may not be ready for that yet! :)  (or maybe I'm just not ready!)

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way at times when it comes to Paige. Preston has been sickly for so long that it doesn't phase me but when Paige is sick I feel really bad for her and all I want to do is make her better quickly. I think it is because she is not usually sick!

    ReplyDelete