Stay At Home Supermom

Stay At Home Supermom

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Coupon Challenge

I know a lot of people who find amazing deals with coupons and save a ton of money.  I clip coupons from the Sunday paper, and I like a good sale but I have never been one of "those crazy coupon ladies."  I tend to buy generic and I think the coupon business is just too much work for a mom of two tiny kids.  I cant imagine driving all over town to find a good deal with a 3 year old and 6 month old in tow.
Last night, I experienced my very first coupon class.  I found out about it through my sister and a friend.  A woman who has a blog at couponcloset.net taught the class.  It was FREE to attend and we were give a lot of great ideas.  This woman has 5 kids plus a cat and dog, her budget per month for all things groceries, including dog food, cat food, litter, etc, used to be $1000/month.  Now she spend less than $230/month!! That is incredible but I am still and probably always will be a skeptic by nature.
I love a good deal, I get excited about sales, and I am a serious fan of shopping.  So, since this the first week of January; a time when we are supposed to have resolutions set in place and goals for a new year, I am going to attempt to become a "crazy coupon lady."  I'm going to bypass Wal-Mart, Walgreens and Target**; I'm going to try out Homeland and CVS; I'm going to look on the internet for good buys and coupons; I'm going to check out blogs and websites.  These are lofty goals for me because I tend to get overwhelmed with too much detail and too many choices.  I'm giving myself 90 days, at the end of that  90 days I hope I am saving hundreds of dollars...or at least $20 to $50!
So I've put it out there, my big, bad goal, I can't take it back now.  If you are reading this, keep me accountable, leave an encouraging words; I'll keep you updated as I go along.  If you have any tips or suggestions please feel free to share!
(**disclaimer:  I will still be shopping at Target but probably not for groceries. I might go through withdraws if I completely take Target out of my system!)

No comments:

Post a Comment