Stay At Home Supermom

Stay At Home Supermom

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Pleasantly Surprised

Well, I told several people that I would be "pleasantly surprised" if we weren't admitted today after surgery and we weren't!!! Woo hoo!!!
Surgery went really well this morning, first, they actually got him back into the operating room early! That never happens.  Carson did AMAZING! He didn't act scared at all, he was a little unsure but was such a trooper.  I was able to go all the way back into the operating room with him and stay with him until he fell asleep.   In the OR, he told the room full of doctors and nurses that his name is not Carson, that it is Batman Bradley Van Hauen.

Playing while we wait for surgery 
pic with mommy - preop
he really likes the hats!

cute boy
We found out that his esophagus looks great, not even any signs of reflux! His trachea had an infected suture that had come through and was causing a build-up of "protein" in his airway.  This is the second time this has happened.  The summer he turned two he had the same thing happen, was admitted overnight for observation and did great.  Then 3 days later we were back in the hospital, via ambulance, with a little boy who couldn't breath.  Emergency surgery and one ICU stay later, he was much better.  So as you can imagine, I was a little hesitant to go home today.  In fact, it scared me to death.  His stats were great and he was breathing really well, but there is some kind of security in staying at the hospital surrounded by nurses and doctors.  After some reassurance from Carson's doctor, I was ready to head home.
Having trouble waking up, post-op

drug induced, ready to go home smile

heading home....notice the hat

starting to perk up a litte

We got home this afternoon and Carson rested some, played a little, ate a good dinner, and is currently laying his head in my lap, watching a movie.  He did just tell me that he doesn't feel very good and that his throat hurts.  I'm just going to keep the Tylenol and Motrin flowing! :) His doctor told us the most important days are 3 or 4, post surgery and to really keep an eye on him through the weekend.  He gave us his cell phone number and told me to call with any concerns.  (He also asked me to please not post the number on facebook! ha ha!!)

HOME! YAY!!!

I feel so blessed and thankful that were able to come home this afternoon.  I was told by someone that since they are always so conservative with Carson's care that I should see this as a good thing that were sent home.  I think that is an excellent point and I am thankful for doctors who look out for my son's best interest, family who loves us and helps us, friends who are there for me and help me see the big picture, and for everyone who has prayed for us and checked in on us.  
One more thing I would like to ask you to pray about is that the suture that was removed today would be the last one.  The doctor told us today that this does not happen very often at all but this is Carson we are talking about it.  If it comes back again in the next couple of years, he will recommend that Carson have major, reconstructive surgery to essentially "rebuild" the trachea and esophagus in the area where his TE Fistula was repaired at birth.  He said it is a big surgery and we really don't want to go through that.  So I am asking for you to pray for total healing of Carson's airway and that this is the last surgery we have to experience.  
Carson's birthday is in 2 days and I am overwhelmed, tonight but what a miracle his life is and how truly blessed I am to have him.  Only by God's grace!!!


I have no idea what happened to my text sizes, spacing, etc....so my apologies if this is difficult to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment